Garmin Customer Support - the saga continues

Yesterday the nice chap at GPS4Less phoned me up to let me know that Garmin were going to send me a brand new, tested unit and it would be arriving by courier today. Seemingly the fact that I'd mailed a link to my previous post to both the CEO and Director of Sales and Marketing of Garmin had achieved the desired effect. I had an email from Garmin's European Service/Support Manager apologising for the problems I'd had, and saying:

Our current turn around time is 3 days, and in a case like this we would replace your unit with a new boxed product. I am sorry that this was not conveyed to you following your first contact with us. We are now addressing the calculation of our turn around time claims.

So it seems that Garmin not only have the things in stock, but the original 1-2 weeks estimate for getting it replaced wasn't right either. Sure enough, at about 2:30 this afternoon the replacement was delivered. They'd included a nice case and a couple of spare sets of batteries, along with a letter. I powered the Summit up, only to discover that the LCD display was dodgy - pixels were 'bleeding' left and right across the screen from the edges of the various dialog boxes and icons. I know that LCDs are prone to this, but it was really quite noticeable, and on the previous unit - despite it's other fault - there wasn't any sign of it at all. Just to confirm I wasn't imagining it I nipped down to the Ranger station to compare it with Fiona's identical model. Despite hers being several years old and having had a hard life, the display was much better than mine.

I'd phoned the Garmin Service Manager up to explain the problem with the replacement before I went to compare my Summit to Fiona's, so when I got back I phoned him back up to arrange for yet another unit to be sent to me tomorrow. As I was digging through the contents of the box they'd sent me, I noticed a slip titled Newly overhauled 1-year limited warrany certificate, so whilst I was on the phone I asked if that meant that I'd been supplied with a repaired unit to replace my original brand-new unit. "Yes, although you were supposed to be supplied with a new one" was the reply. I'm sure that was his original intention when he mailed me yesterday (see above), but obviously something had got lost in the translation - which isn't very impressive - but hardly surprising in light of my experiences with them so far. Expecting me to pay £150.00 for a broken-and-repaired, second-hand Summit doesn't exactly seem reasonable, which he accepted. My third-and-hopeully-final Summit will be arriving tomorrow, just in time for my birthday, which is what the bloody thing was supposed to be for anyway.

Sheesh.

Tags : , , ,
Categories : Tech